We are glad you found us, but we're sorry for what brings you here.
Brief Encounters can help you feel you are not alone on your journey through grief. Here you can find resources to help as you work through the pain of losing your babies. You can connect with parents who know the hard work of picking up the pieces of shattered dreams. Please join us as we learn how to be patient and kind to ourselves as the rest of the world tries to rush us through our grief. Here we have learned that making the journey
with others is not nearly as lonely.
Noah's Quest Wall of Remembrance
If you have not previously submitted a photo, you are welcome to bring a photograph of your baby or of something that reminds you of your baby to add to our wall. Photo size to be 5x7 or smaller. Please bring a photo that you are willing to leave behind. Include your baby's name as you would like it to be displayed, birth/death dates and parents' names. One submission per baby.
Noah's Quest Memorial Walkway at Sandy Bluff Park
If you would like to have your baby's name engraved on a brick in our walkway, please bring CASH OR CHECK and you can register at the event. Your baby's brick will be engraved later on this summer. Cost is $25 per brick or $33 if you want to add a symbol.
by Monica Welty
This poem was written by a bereaved parent from Brief Encounters; we share it with her permission and our gratitude.
I would like to come and sit next to your pain
and you to mine.
Let’s cradle it, here together
on this soft couch in this big house with this lady with kind eyes
She knows our grief without telling hers
sitting here, in a room full of our stories Her short sentences telling us there is somewhere to get to from here.
Let’s whisper it, here to each other
Between sobs, choked in the center of the throat, through the blank stare of shock
So that only we and God can hear. Give Him a moment’s rest from our pleading.
And us, too.
Sit here with me, together
Let’s look at each other, stare and marvel with wide eyes
the million broken shards, some blunt some sharp some splintered
one human to the other: “What has become of you, stranger?”
Let’s paste each other back together. You do some, I do some.
It’s not going to be perfect but
It’s going to be.
Let’s sit here together next to our pain.
Let’s cradle it in the ache of a mother’s arms.
Let’s whisper it so only we and God can hear.
We Need Volunteers!
Are you interested in reaching out to other bereaved parents? We are looking for volunteers for the roles listed below. Time commitments and training requirements vary, depending on the position. For more information, please contact Rachel (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Meagan (email@example.com)
- Newsletter Mailing: once a month, preparing newsletters for mailing. Times to be posted on our Facebook group. Families welcome!
- Website Maintenance: updating website information as needed
- **Telephone Facilitator: retrieve messages from our message line once a week, return calls or pass along messages as needed
- **Backup Meeting Facilitator: facilitate meetings when the regular facilitator cannot attend
- **Hospital/Birthing Center Liaisons: visit your hospital/center once a quarter to refurbish BE materials and ideally to maintain a relationship with one or more contact person there.
- **Liaison Coordinator: Someone to train liaisons, keep track of all the hospitals and who is visiting them, and make sure liaisons and hospitals are getting the supplies and support they need.
- Noah’s Quest: be involved in planning and help as needed at the event (manning a booth, bringing supplies, directing runners, etc.)
- Holiday Remembrance Ceremonies: perform a song or reading, be a greeter, provide snacks, help set up and clean up
- Cards: send cards to bereaved families on anniversaries
**INDICATES TRAINING REQUIRED. WE ASK THAT YOU BE AT LEAST ONE YEAR OUT FROM YOUR OWN LOSS BEFORE TAKING ON THESE ROLES.